We want Koru Kids to be diverse and inclusive, and we want our existence and our work to help foster a more inclusive world. We think diversity and inclusion are important to being a good company, a good employer, and a good citizen of the world. They are fundamental to everything we do.
From its earliest days, Koru Kids identified as a ‘feminist’ organisation. More recently — too recently, in hindsight — we have also committed to being an ‘anti-racist’ organisation. We want to be continually developing, and continually learning about how we can be more inclusive, and how we can help create a more inclusive world. Internally, we also aspire to be honest with each other about where we fall short. We’d always rather confront reality and do something about it. (That goes for everything we do, not just diversity and inclusion!).
If these values resonate with you, you might have a home at Koru Kids — either as a nanny, a contractor, a family, an employee, or one of our other partners. If they don’t, then we’re afraid it’s not going to work.
Here are some specific commitments you can hold us to:
- We want a supportive and inclusive culture within our team. This means promoting diversity and eliminating discrimination in the workplace. We will not tolerate any form of discrimination, harassment or victimisation. We will treat others with humility, respect and dignity at all times.
- We treat all people we interact with fairly and ethically, from our nannies to our families to our suppliers, partners and anyone else we come into contact with. We believe this is key and fundamental to the principles of an ethical business. We will provide equality and fairness to all and not provide less favourable facilities or treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender expression and identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, culture, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, or sex and sexual orientation. We are opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
- We seek to identify and select a diverse set of employees and provide a fair and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities for all employees, regardless of background. We encourage respectful communication, cooperation, teamwork and employee participation with representation across all groups. Our aim is to ensure that all employees job applicants, nanny candidates, learners and job applicants are given equal opportunity and that our organisation is representative of all sections of society. Each employee will be respected and valued and able to give their best as a result.
- All employees, no matter whether they are part-time, full-time, or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. When Koru Kids selects candidates for employment, promotion, training, or any other benefit, it will be on the basis of their aptitude and ability. All employees will be given help and encouragement to develop their full potential and utilise their unique talents. Therefore, the skills and resources of our company will be fully utilised and we will maximise the efficiency of our whole workforce.
- We will work to create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all team members are recognised and valued; to create a working environment that promotes dignity and respect for every employee; to make training, development, and progression opportunities available to all staff; to promote equality in the workplace, which we believe is good management practice and makes sound business sense;to encourage anyone who feels they have been subject to discrimination to raise their concerns so we can apply corrective measures; to encourage employees to treat everyone with dignity and respect; and to regularly review all our employment practices and procedures so that fairness is maintained at all times.
- We will strive to create an inclusive product with algorithms that don’t exclude or reinforce biases and unfairness we see in the world.
We are committed to living up to our commitments. Please feel free to point out to us if you ever feel we fall short of these aspirations. We promise to investigate and correct what we need to. If we can’t act immediately, we’ll have a plan for when we can.