Becoming a childminder... our most frequently asked questions

Become a registered childminder Start your application

What exactly is childminding?

Childminding specifically describes looking after children in your own home. A nanny cares for children in the child’s home, and other childcare work takes place in nurseries, creches or play spaces.

To be a childminder you have to be registered with Ofsted—either directly, or via a childminder agency like Koru Kids. Otherwise, it is illegal to care for children (for money) in your own home.

Childminders are self-employed; in other childcare work you'd be an employee.

Find out about registration

What can I earn as a childminder?

Childminders' incomes vary a lot, and depends on: the hourly rate charged for each child; the number of children; and the days per week/hours per day worked. The area you live also effects earnings as it impacts the rate you can charge.

With Koru Kids (if you are in inner London) you typically earn £40,000 after expenses and our fee (before tax), which is more than childminders normally make.

This is because we charge a slightly higher hourly rate to reflect the quality of our training and brand appeal.

With Koru Kids you also get some paid holidays.

Calculate what you'd earn


What hours do childminders work?

To fill your places you need to provide childcare at times parents need it. This typically means full days from 8am to 6pm, to allow parents to get out to work and back.

To be a Koru Kids childminder, we need you to commit to these hours at least 4 days a week.

Learn about life as a childminder

Can I have my own children with me?

Yes. This is the beauty of childminding. If you have an under 5, they can be home with you all day, cared for alongside your nursery children.

School-age children can be home too, and generally won't affect your income. But you need to think about the practicalities of a school run with little ones.

Learn about a typical day


Is my home suitable for childminding?

Our childminders are trained to use their local green spaces to do lots of outdoor learning, so your home doesn't have to be enormous. And you won't need to have a garden.

We have some minimum requirements:
- Everyone over 16 living there needs a DBS check—we'll take care of this
- No one can smoke in the house or garden. Ever.
- You can't be a on a very busy road
- You need to manage the stairs with 3 children
- You need to make space for 3 toddlers to play

Find out more about what your home should be like

What does the registration process involve?

You have an initial call and a video interview with home check. You then submit information to allow us to run background checks on you (e.g. DBS, social services and Ofsted) whilst you get on with training.

After your initial training you have a registration visit. This checks your knowledge and home.

Once you've passed, there's more training to help you be amazing, and hands-on help setting up your home.

We then market you to parents and fill up your places.

Learn more about the registration process


I'm scared to look after someone else's child. Help!

It can feel terrifying to be in sole charge of three little ones, but by the end of our training you’ll feel ready.

With Koru Kids, you take a 12-hour paediatric first aid course. You’ll learn about safeguarding, so you’ll know your responsibilities for keeping children safe. You have a set of written policies and procedures to work to, so you know how to do things—like giving medication and reporting accidents—properly.

Learn about our training

What qualifications do I need to childmind?

To be accepted onto training you do not need to have qualifications, or even formal experience working with children. Simply raising your own and having loads of passion for the job can be enough.

You need to complete training to become a childminder—but we provide all that free of charge. Our training, support, and business set-up is worth up to £3,000.

Call us on 0208 0505674 or email us to check if you're eligible to apply.


How is Koru Kids different to Ofsted registration?

With Koru Kids, the process is quicker, it costs nothing upfront, and you get loads of support.

With Ofsted the process can be slow, and you have to pay for everything yourself. And you're alone trying to figure it all out.

Learn more about the difference

What do Koru Kids get out of supporting me?

We take a 10% fee when you're earning, in return for all our investment upfront and our continued support.

You sign a contract to pay this while you are a childminder with us—but only so long as you continue to operate as a childminder. If you give up altogether within the first 3 years, you just walk away.

Learn more about our support and fee

Read more of our FAQs