Please note Koru Kids is not yet registered as an accredited Ofsted Childminder Agency

How do I become a registered childminder and what qualifications do I need? How much does it cost and how long does it take?

If you’ve decided to become a registered childminder, you have two options – you can register as a childminder directly with Ofsted, or register as a childminder through an accredited childminder agency like Koru Kids. Here we’ll explain the difference between Ofsted and a childminder agency.

1. Registering as a childminder directly with Ofsted

Cost: £1,000+

Time: Months

Effort Level: Hard

Childminding is an incredibly rewarding job

If you chose to register directly with Ofsted, you’ll need to arrange your own DBS checks and your own training – covering paediatric first aid, safeguarding, the Early Years Foundation Stage, food hygiene and working with children with special educational needs or disabilities. This in total will cost several hundred pounds.


You’ll then need to get your home ready – taking out professional childminder insurance, purchasing equipment and toys, and of course, making it safe for young children. This again could cost several hundred pounds.

Children flourish in early years home settings

Once you’re ready to be inspected and you’ve submitted your application to Ofsted, you may need to wait a few months for a visit from one of their inspectors who can sign you off as a qualified childminder.

Before launching, you’ll need to put together a comprehensive set of policies, contracts and processes to make sure you stay compliant with the EYFS and to protect yourself. You’ll also need to pay for and register with the ICO (Information Commissioner's Officer)

Finally, you’re ready to go. Next step – find some children to look after!


2. Registering with an accredited childminder agency like Koru Kids

Cost: ~£50

Time: 8-12 weeks

Effort Level: Easy

Koru Kids support you every step of the way

We try to make it as simple as possible for you to successfully qualify as a childminder and get your business up and running as soon as possible. Not only that, but we fully support you over the long term, to help you and the children you care for, to thrive.

With Koru Kids it couldn’t be simpler. Apart from your GP health check which is ~£50, we cover all of the costs of your training, insurance, DBS, ICO cover and local authority checks, and we’ll be able to book in a registration visit from one of our friendly team as soon as you’ve completed our easy-to-follow online training program. This means you could be up and running in as little as 8 weeks from now. Because we are an accredited childminder agency, you never need to deal with Ofsted.

To get you started, we offer some applicants a £500 grant to help kit out your home, as well as offering advice you need along the way from our expert panel of childcare professionals. We’ll then give you all the policies, processes, forms and contracts that you need to open your home nursery straight away.

Koru Kids give you advice on how best to set up your home nursery setting

When you launch, as one of London’s most-loved childcare brands with thousands of parents using our successful after-school nanny service, we will promote your home nursery to fill your places quickly and keep them filled.

Once you’re up and running we strongly believe that all your energy and focus should be on the children you care for, and not the admin of running your business, so we look after invoicing parents, applying for government funding and ongoing training. And of course, rather than dealing with Ofsted for your follow-up inspections, instead you’ll get a visit from one of our friendly team. Everything we do is intended to help you, and the children you care for, to thrive – by taking away obstacles and complexity wherever we can.