Childcare is a major pain. Every parent knows it. That’s why Koru Kids is building the world’s best childcare service, starting in London. We use technology and human psychology insights to make our services seamless and efficient. We aim to make it easier and more affordable for families to access high-quality childcare. Our after school service matches parents in London with fantastic nannies and our nanny share service helps families to share nannies with other local families.
Parents who use our service LOVE it, and we’re growing super fast. We’re backed by fantastic investors, including top venture capitalists and business angels, and we’ve won a bunch of awards. We’re so proud of what we’ve built so far, but we’re only just getting started, with massive plans for 2018 and beyond.
The team and culture
Our founder is Rachel Carrell, the former CEO of DrThom.com, the world’s largest online doctor service, which she grew to over 1.3m paying users in 3 countries. She’s an Oxford alumni, ex-McKinsey, a Rhodes Scholar and a WEF Young Global Leader. Rachel’s joined by a fantastic team with backgrounds including Cambridge, UCL, BCG, KPMG, and some of London’s top startups.
We have an informal, hard-working and kind team culture. We’re all passionate about our mission and are determined to create a genuinely fantastic childcare service to help working parents. Our culture is friendly and fast-paced – we are continually challenging, testing and adapting the way we do things. We’re also really committed to working with integrity, doing the right thing and building a company we are truly proud of. We’re growing super fast, but we also want to make sure that we are building a company on rock-solid foundations.
We take great care with whom we hire, and all team members are superbly talented and really nice. If you’re brilliant AND humble, you’ll fit right in.
Our COO – a seasoned global executive, ex-BIMA, ex-BCG, MBA (LBS) – is looking for an experienced operator to take on a leadership role within the team.
You’ll lead major pieces of our product (e.g. the way we recruit and vet our nannies, or the way we match our families and nannies together) and be responsible for building a team and capabilities to deliver a fantastic customer experience at scale. We’re a young company, so there aren’t many fixed processes yet, and few things are sacred. That means you can create new processes, introduce new technologies, make suggestions, and determine how we can do things better. You’ll be directly responsible for enabling our continued high growth and will wear multiple hats at the same time.
You'll have clear targets and accountability for the delivery of major parts of the business. Over time, this will translate into P&L responsibility.
You need to be highly analytical, organised, and comfortable working at a fast pace. Running experiments, testing pilots and embedding new ways-of-working will be your bread and butter. You’ll need a healthy sense of dissatisfaction for the status-quo, and a drive to improve the things around you. A knack for understanding what makes people tick would also come in handy.
If you like building things, and get a huge kick from directly contributing to a better customer experience, smoother operations and watching your team develop and grow, then you’re in the right place.
This opportunity is a great place to learn and develop a strong track record in operations, building a team and delivering impact, ahead of working in a senior role with us or elsewhere, or founding something yourself.
If you've read this far and are now thinking, "The company sounds cool but that job's not quite what I'm looking for" – get in touch anyway. We've got other roles, and we'd create a new one for the right person.
3 reasons this role is great:
- You will learn a TON. Operations will be your main focus, but you’ll get plenty of exposure to marketing, product, technology and other aspects of the business.
- You’ll be making a huge difference to the everyday lives of parents in London. We’re building a business that will profoundly benefit children, women, and families.
- We’re well-connected in the startup world, so working with us will open lots of doors for you even if you leave. We’ve got a strong track record of helping people we’ve worked with.
We’re after an all-rounder who is clever, practical, positive and nice. We don’t mind what degree you’ve done, as long as you’ve done well in it. We’ll be looking for evidence of drive and aspiration, leadership, impact and achievement.
You’ll likely have 3+ years of work experience in a fast-paced environment such as strategy consulting or working for a tech company/startup. Operations specific experience is nice, but not required. Irrespective of your field of experience, you’ll have led projects and have a history of delivering impact.
Essential skills we require of ALL team members
- You’re emotionally intelligent. Although you’ll like to talk, the most important thing you’ll do is listen.
- You’re a problem-solver. You can break complexity into smaller bite-sized pieces and enjoy solving difficult challenges.
- You love working with numbers, data and problem-solving. Excel is your friend. We love people who love analysis.
- You love improving things and are curious by nature. You can create new processes, make suggestions, and tell us we’re doing things wrong.
- You roll with it. You understand that startups are unpredictable environments. You are comfortable with a degree of chaos.
- You’re nice. You get that no player is bigger than the team. You fit right into our culture of supporting and helping each other.
- You’re detail-oriented. You’ll be working in a complex system, and the details must be 100% correct.
- You’re able to write clearly, simply and accurately.
- You can work at a fast pace and under pressure.
We work from a beautiful co-working space near Old St in central London. The office has a gym and showers, bike storage, free snacks and drinks, and a programme of social events.
Competitive (incl. equity) dependent on experience.
To apply please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org