Why consider a role beginning in January?
The majority of families are looking to secure a nanny for January before the Christmas holidays. This means your chance of getting hired is at its peak right now!
Meet families before Christmas!
We know December is a busy time for everyone but it’s really important you meet families before you leave London for Christmas. This will give you the best chance of securing a role for the new school term.
Try to organise a meeting ASAP as the closer it gets to Christmas, the more hectic everyone's schedule gets. Our families may be considering multiple candidates and we don’t want you to miss out!
If you’re unable to meet before or over the festive break, then do let the family know. You can always arrange a phone call to get the ball rolling. The most important thing is to keep in touch and be responsive, even if you’re not available to meet in person.
What if my timetable for next term isn't confirmed?
- Don’t worry, we will have told the family this before they agreed to meet you. It’s good to make sure they didn’t miss this though, so it’s worth mentioning at the interview
- If you decide to work together, the family can “reserve” you by paying a deposit. This means you’re guaranteed the role in January, pending the release of your timetable
- If you can no longer work the days they need when your timetable is confirmed then they’ll become a “VIP Family” and we’ll work tirelessly to find them a replacement in time. If we can’t we’ll return their deposit
- You’ll also become a “VIP Nanny” and we’ll give you priority with other families to maximise the chance of finding you a new role as soon as possible
- 90% of the time this works out – you can tell the family this as they may want some reassurance
What if the family want to start before January but my timetable changes next term?
- If you are meeting families now, it’s important to let them know that the afternoons you are available to work might change in January
- If you don’t know your timetable a family can still reserve you – take a look at the section above
I’ve agreed to work with a family in January. What next?
- If you’ve been offered a role for January, let us know and we’ll take you through the next steps
- We’ll invite you to attend our First Aid training course and process your DBS. We’ll also get you set up on payroll and prepare your contract with the family
- We recognise Christmas is a busy time of year for everyone, but the most important thing is to keep in contact with the family over the festive break and be responsive! Get in touch with them to make arrangements for your first day and check out our top tips for settling in
When does school go back in January?
- Schools go back in the first two weeks of January. If you are matched with a family for next term, it is likely that they will want you to start at the same time as their kids go back to school
- Check with your family when they need you to start and ensure you are in London by that date if possible
- If you won’t be back in time, make sure the family know before you accept the role so they can work out if they can organise something else for the first week or two
If you have any more questions about finding a role for next term, feel free to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 0208 050 5678.