Cooped up inside on a rainy day and lacking inspiration for ideas to keep the kids busy? We’ve gathered together our favourite indoor and outdoor rainy day activities. So whether your little ones are keen to head out to go puddle jumping or stay cuddled up on the sofa, we’ve got you covered.
Indoor rainy day activity ideas:
- Why not bring the outdoors in by setting up a campsite in your living room? Create blanket fort ‘tents’ and enjoy toasted marshmallows with hot chocolate for the full camping experience.
- Let the kids’ imagination go wild with DIY science experiments. Using everyday things found in your kitchen cupboard, you’ll be able to make a volcano, lava lamp and a balloon powered ‘car’. You can find lots of science experiment ideas here.
- Set up a scavenger hunt around the house. Hide clues with puzzles to solve to find a prize! You’ll find some great at home scavenger hunt ideas here.
- An at-home crazy golf course is a great way to introduce some competitive fun on rainy days. You can use paper cups secured with tape as targets and cuddly toys as obstacles. If you don’t have golf clubs at home, you can DIY one following this video.
- Put your favourite music on and enjoy an at-home disco.
Feel like braving the outdoors? Here are some of our favourite outdoor rainy day activities for puddle-jumping little ones:
- Go on a nature walk and keep a count of the creepy crawlies you spot along the way. Remember to look under rocks and stones for any that might be taking shelter from the rain.
- Make mini boats and rafts out of twigs and sticks and float them down a stream.
- Puddle jumping is a must for rainy days (just don’t forget your wellies and a raincoat!)
- Help out our prickly friends by making a hedgehog feeder. With hedgehog numbers sadly rapidly declining, it’s more important than ever to teach children the importance of keeping green spaces hedgehog-friendly. You can find more information about setting up a hedgehog feeding station here.
- If your little ones have an abundance of energy, wrapping up warm and heading out to have a rain dance might just be the best way to burn it off!
Whether your family chooses to embrace the weather by venturing outdoors or prefer to stay warm and dry indoors, we hope our rainy day activity ideas keep everyone entertained. Keen to plan a family fun night but unsure of what activities to do? Check out this blog post for some inspiration.